Sunday, May 4, 2014

DESPERATE LIARS

I have certainly, in many ways set myself apart from others.
Oh, not in a bad way really....but, for example, I went to the last class of a 48 hour series to fit the new curriculum of "advanced paramedic".  All through those hours of sitting in class, as I occasionally glance around, I see many people in EMS.  Most are young strapping bucks, and there are a few doe and one with fawn soon to arrive.  And here I sit.... more than a bit older...  at least I still have a decent rack!    YEAH!!!  At least I am not a trophy!
WE all ride the "Bambilance", and most of us have dodged a few bullets, either figuratively or literally speaking.   YUP!!!  You can tell this is Wisconsin!

BUT REALLY......
People try to attack us at times, many assault us in different ways. These are usually the druggies and drunks. For the most part I have been very lucky. I have been slapped and scratched. I have been grabbed from under my breast while taking a blood pressure on a drunk man.   I have been spit on . I have been kicked. And someone tried to bite me.

Some people just do not want to go to the hospital, get violent and try to abandon ship. There are rules for this of course. Generally we do not take people that are fully competent and wish not to go, even if they need to go.  That is their decision.  BUT...
"implied consent" allows us to take unconscious persons or people that are not acting competent due to a head injury or obvious danger to themselves if we do not take them. Sometimes, that is when the "real fun" begins.

I have helped others chase patients like that.... we know the outcome will be very bad if we don't catch and transport. I probably jogged over fields and valleys for more than few in my day.



One person was captured by the deputies and another medic after leaving the scene of his own motorcycle accident. Now the accident was not too serious, but he bolted through several farm acres after 
he dumped his bike on a curve. He did not want to go with us AT ALL!!! Maybe he was hiding his use of illegal drugs. He argued so strongly with my squad officer and he was put in his place by my squad officer.  Some of the EMS officers think they are "all that and more".  Well, the guy was really pissed and the cops told him he had to go to the ER and was also under arrest.  He agreed not to fight or run and only to sit on the ambulance cot.
I said to him that he still had to be seat belted.  Well everything seemed cool and we went en route to the hospital 10-40.  (That means non-emergent with no lights and sirens.) We stopped at a stoplight and GUESS WHAT????  The male patient stood up RAPIDLY and took two giant leaps and jumped out of the back doors as we started to roll again. Our mouths just dropped! That S.O.B.!!!  He secretly unlatched the buckle! Another chase again...but the deputy was right behind and to the ground the patient went in a flash.  This time he was handcuffed to our cot and transported to the nearest facility.  I do not believe it was alcohol, maybe drugs, maybe a concussion?  He did not present in an obvious way in his diagnosis.  People will try to schmooze when they are hiding something or lying.


As in the words of TV Greg House M.D........ "Everybody Lies"




3 comments:

  1. You most certainly have a flair for the zainny

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Everybody Lies"

    Speak for yourself.

    I Don't.

    BTW - "Implied Consent" is against Natural Law. Don't get mad when you choose to obey UNLAWFUL AUTHORITY, and some people object to FORCED COMPLIANCE, especially when they have committed NO CRIME.

    Criminal activity requires a bona-fide victim and complainant, no matter what the UNLAWFUL STATE says. Being compelled to specific performance for non-criminal activity IS a criminal act committed by those who force the specific performance. The State will NOT protect you in the after-life.

    http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/natural-law-ethics/

    There is NO such thing as Implied Consent, except in the hearts of EVIL MEN. (and Woman)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH YES THERE IS..... that is especially for EMS. I will treat you if you are unconscious
    and NOT able to make decisions for yourself. I will advocate for you actively as to what I believe you would desire to save YOUR life. You cannot sign a consent form and you have no one around. I am guessing you want to continue to live and I will act on your behalf to make that happen. I am protected by law in acting on your behalf. I also have "a duty to act."

    ReplyDelete